I watched them so you don’t have to.
Let me preface this list by saying, like most VMA’s, this year was filled with class, trash, and an abundance of awkwardness. This is my list of the top 10 moments.
Honorable mention goes to Pink, as she was a trapeze artist while she sang.
10. Eminem and Tracy Jordan…I mean Tracy Morgan – I had no idea Eminem was still around. However, these two made me laugh every time they were on…which is more than I can say for the host. See number 4.
9. Jay – Z & Alicia Keys – The mayor of New York…AKA HOV closed the show with an “Ode to New York”. Say what you will about Hip Hop Jay Z is gifted. All he needed was a stage and he owned it – Making anyone who has lived in or been to New York embrace the realities of one of the greatest cities of the world.
8. This is it – A trailer for the Michael Jackson concert film. Just watching a clip and you couldn’t help but remember how incredible he really was.
7. Green Day – One of the few remaining rock bands that I enjoy. It’s just good solid rock.
6. Lady Ga Ga – Alright let me begin by saying…WHAT THE CRAP? It’s like 80’s Madonna meets Cher crossed with Phyllis Diller. Sure the songs are catchy, sure she can sing and play the piano, and sure she knows how to entertain…but still I say…WHAT THE CRAP! From the ever changing outfits to the, I’m not sure what I just saw performance, Lady Ga Ga was certainly an interesting component to the show this year.
5. All The Single Ladies – It just doesn’t get old. And even with 40 other dancers Beyonce still commands attention…and she actually sings.
4. Russell Brand – Seriously?! MTV I know that you have become obsolete and that Nickelodeon and The Disney Channel have become far more relevant than you are but…come on, Russell Brand? It was like watching a train wreck but far less interesting. Non one laughed they just stared eyebrows raised and mouths open. I’m just saying…dude needs Jesus…of course so do I…aaaand I’m pretty sure some people feel the same way when I preach.
4. Madonna – Let’s see…where to begin. I guess I can start with how incredibly arrogant and ridiculous it is to do to a side by side competition of who is the bigger pop star, especially when one of the pop stars is now deceased. It has been a while since I have watched something so seemingly insincere and incredibly awkward…not as awkward however as….
3. Kayne West taking the Microphone away from Taylor Swift – Did that seriously just happen? Who does that? Who goes on stage takes the microphone from a 17-year-old girl and proceeds to say that some other person’s video was better. Kayne West that’s who. Thus beginning a feeling of awkwardness that lasted for about 20 minutes and not a funny awkwardness but a sad really really uncomfortable awkwardness. Have I mentioned it was awkward? Yeeeaaaahhhhhhh.
2. The Michael Jackson dance tribute – The name says it all.
1. Beyonce = class – Beyonce wins best video of the year and what does she do? Reminisces about winning her first VMA at 17 with Destiny’s Child and then telling the crowd “I think Taylor deserves her moment.” Come on now, love her or hate her, that says a lot about a persons character when they don’t rest in the glory but shine the light on someone else. Class I say…class.
There you have it…I watched it so you don’t have to. And seriously, you don’t have to…It was hard to even get 10 things, although I do know how to pray a little better for some people.